Re: XForms: Documentation update?

From: Steve Lamont (spl@eggshell.ucsd.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 03 2002 - 16:45:40 EST

    > Since we're looking at a release, is there any chance of an update to
    > the documentation? Right now, it's not even in the same place as the
    > download, and I don't know how much of a change there has been between
    > 0.89 and 1.0.

    I don't have access to the source for the current documentation. TC
    still has that and has not released it. I've asked several times but
    haven't heard back from him.

    It looks to be a LaTeX document.

    > If the current docs are still mostly relevant, then a small text file
    > explaining new/changed functions is enough for now...I'm thinking a bit
    > more about the future.

    In this version I've resisted making changes to the API so there
    should be no changes to the usage documentation.

    I'm not sure about breaking it up. I happen to like the book-like
    format it is in now. It needs some man pages for the individual
    function calls or some kind of quick reference _a la_ the O'Reilly
    _The X Window System in a Nutshell_ guide but I'd be otherwise loath
    to change it substantially.

    Perhaps some HTML-ized version might be nice but, frankly, I despise
    HTML-only documentation, if only for the reason that it's hard to lug
    a monitor (or even a laptop) to the restroom. I want something that
    can be printed and looks like a book when it is.

                                                            spl