Re: XForms: Wrong person for the job

From: Angus Leeming (angus.leeming@btopenworld.com)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 11:59:55 EST

    Steve,

    I posted this last Friday, but it got returned to me with an "unable to post"
    message. Bob's recent mail explains why, but it hasn't appeared in the
    archive subsequently so I guess that it just got lost.

    On Thursday 27 March 2003 5:05 pm, Steve Lamont wrote:
    > Gentlefolk:
    > Upon reflection, I have come to the conclusion that I am the wrong
    > person for the job of maintaining XForms. In the several years since
    > TC originally approached me to take this project over my
    > responsibilities and, indeed, my interests have changed.

    I would like to add my best wishes to those you have received already. You
    have been unfailing helpful in my short time on this list. Many, many thanks
    for doing such a great job.

    > If the LyX folks want to take over the project and have the resources
    > to do so, I will entertain an offer to do so.

    I don't anticipate that the xforms project maintainer will find the task
    tooooo onerous. As I see it, an xforms maintainer would pretty well be
    responsible for coordinating releases and that's about it. As I see it, the
    code base needs maintenance and some gradual extensions (new widgets etc).
    What are your feelings about the amount of work involved? You are far more
    experienced in such matters than I.

    I also think that talk of a "take over" is unnecessary. Instead, I propose a
    migration to sourceforge. Once the project is set up, I think it will pretty
    well run itself.

    If we do move things over to sourceforge, what shall we call the project? I
    see that "xforms" has been nabbed already. How about "xforms-guilib"? That
    would give us:

            http://xforms-guilib.sourceforge.net/
            http://sourceforge.net/projects/xforms-guilib

    I see that sourceforge also hosts mailing lists and that gmane would both
    archive the mailing list and provide a usenet interface to it. Is Bob still
    hapy to continue hosting the mailing list?

    Let's start a discussion as to the best way forward.
    Angus