Re: positioning a form

Dr. T.C. Zhao (zhao@bragg.phys.uwm.edu)
Fri, 3 Jan 1997 00:17:10 -0600

From: "J. P. Mellor" <jpmellor@ai.mit.edu>
>. It seems that when using
>FL_PLACE_GEOMETRY the first form is positioned so that the upper
>left-hand corner of the entire window (including all decorations) is
>at the desired position. The second form is positioned differently
>(the decorations seem to be ignored) even though the requested
>position is exactly the same.

Correct observation. The answer is that the first time
a form is shown, the library tries to determine the window
manager's reparent method and border size while using a
default. Subsequent forms will use the correct WM border
size obtained from the first time a form is shown.

The library has to do this and I did spent more than
a few days to get this (almost) right. If I were not to do this,
if you hide form and show it again with no position change,
you will find the form will drift a few pixles each time you do this
(i.e., hide and show) and in no time, the form will be out of sight.

I guess the long anwser can be said simply that it is necessary
to do this.