Re: XForms: Compatibility of old applications and new library releases?

T.C. Zhao (tc_zhao@yahoo.com)
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 14:35:18 -0700 (PDT)

---"John C. Peterson" <jaypee@netcom.com> wrote:

> I'm guessing that this is because libforms was linked without the use
> of the -soname option (shared library name). So was this; 1) a simple
> oversight, in which case I can create the soft links for libforms.so,
> libforms.so.0 by hand, or 2) the soname was omitted for a reason (ie:
Actually -soname is used, but it does not follow the standard
naming convention mostly because I am not sure the libraries are binary
compatible so -soname is set to libforms.0.xx rather than
libforms.0. When xforms reaches 1.0, more rigorous testing of
binary compatibility will be part of the release criteria. For now,
I'd be happy if API stays stable.