Re: XForms: problem with fl_set_idle_delta in 1.0 RC 5.2

From: Steve Lamont (spl@ncmir.ucsd.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 06 2002 - 13:56:34 EST

    > > Since this behavior is not documented, I'd be inclined to consider it
    > > a bug rather than a feature. I can't imagine how it could be a
    > > configuration problem.
    >
    > Because non-blocking io is one of the areas where different unixes
    > tend to be different. . . .

    I'm not sure I follow. The select() function acts the same on all the
    systems I've dealt with, including some of the real-time wodgets like
    LynxOS. The variations come in when you start mixing in signals and
    restartability.

    > . . . I'll vote for this as a bug because it prevents
    > me from using the CPU idle time without resorting to threads. That
    > would have consequences on the portability and extendibility of my
    > software. :-(

    Why? POSIX threads work fine for me on all my favorite apps and OSes.

    In fact, I converted one of my apps to POSIX threads for just that
    very reason -- I could get true background multiprocessing with
    threads, which is absolutely unachievable using simple idle functions.

    > I'll send out a note in a couple of hours about the patch.

    Thanx. It'll go to the top of the list for Version 1.1.

                                                            spl