XForms: Problem noifying end of input.

From: Dick Middleton (dick@sqf.hp.com)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2001 - 11:15:13 EST

    > > The problem is that the interactive behaviour of an input field is different
    > > depending on whether the user changes input focus from the input field to
    > > another input field or to some other type of object.
    > >
    > > If you have 2 input fields and a button then:
    > > a) If you enter data in an input field and click to the other input
    > > callback will be invoked.
    > >
    > > b) If you enter data in an input field and click the button the callback
    > > will not be invoked.

    > Because XForms has not way of intuiting what that user's intentions
    > are. They may wish to come back after clicking the button and make
    > changes to or complete the input.

    That's OK. You just get more than one change.

    > In fact, I'd go so far as saying
    > that the first scenario (a) is wrong behavior -- the only way an Input
    > callback should be invoked is upon explicit pressing of Return or Tab.

    There's no difference in concept between tab, cr and mousing somewhere else.
    They all change the input focus. Problem is mousing somewhere else doesn't
    always.

    > > The problem with your scheme where all inputs are read when the button is
    > > pressed is that the facility provided by xforms of invoking a callback as and
    > > when the input data is changed is lost. That may not be useful in your
    > > application but in many it is.

    > I'm not parsing that first sentence in any useful manner. Want to try
    > again?

    Your scheme =: Press a button and read all inputs.
    Xforms feature =: invokes callback as and when data is changed.

    Both "Your scheme" and the "Xforms feature" are currently available. You
    propose to remove (or at least don't appreciate) the Xforms feature.

    > > To emulate the RETURN_END_CHANGED behaviour within the application, even a
    > > simple one, is non-trivial.

    > So it would appear -- which is probably why XForms doesn't do it
    > internally. There are too many ambiguities.

    There's no amibiguity. If I click on a button then input is ended. Xforms is
    best placed to detect the loss of input focus from the input object. It's
    the loss of focus (not tab or cr) which determines (or should determine) end
    of input.

    Dick

    Dick Middleton
    Phone: +44 131-331 7530